[Beowulf] Re: "hobbyists"

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Fri Jun 20 10:37:34 PDT 2008

On 20 Jun 2008, at 4:12 pm, Mike Davis wrote:

> Reading code is IMHO one of the most important parts of learning to
> write good code. It doesn't matter if the target language is f77, C,
> or even (gulp) java. Reading well written code will help one to
> understand how to construct it.

That's true.  I thought I wrote reasonably well structured and
maintainable C until I saw some code written by an ex-colleague of
mine, and realised just how good some people are!

It was far better than the majority of code I've seen, and that
includes almost all the open source stuff I've had to grub around in.

Tim