[Beowulf] Re: "hobbyists"

stephen mulcahy smulcahy at aplpi.com
Fri Jun 20 06:36:14 PDT 2008

Joe Landman wrote:
> Use pam_abl.  Really.  Even if the password were weak, and they guessed
> it on the 57th try, pam_abl will stop the login.  Read the manual.
> Adjust the config settings.
>
> Our ssh logs are scary, have been for a while.  They aren't the scariest
> of our logs.

DenyHosts works on a similar principle -
http://denyhosts.sourceforge.net/ although pam_abl's pretending to
accept logins even when the attacker has been blacklisted sounds
downright sneaky!

Could make for an interesting Monday morning pre-coffee login session
though - as you wonder why your initially mistyped password still isn't
working after 50 login attempts :)

> Even paranoids have enemies.

or "I've only been paranoid since they started watching me"?

-stephen

--
Stephen Mulcahy, Applepie Solutions Ltd., Innovation in Business Center,
GMIT, Dublin Rd, Galway, Ireland.  +353.91.751262  http://www.aplpi.com