NDAs Re: [Beowulf] Nvidia, cuda, tesla and... where's my double floating point?

Jim Lux James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Jun 17 11:41:34 PDT 2008

At 11:23 AM 6/17/2008, Greg Lindahl wrote:
>On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 10:43:07AM -0700, Jim Lux wrote:
>
> > For instance, do co-lo facilities charge you for power, or is
> > it like office space, where you rent it by the square foot, and an
> > assumed amount of power and HVAC comes with the price.
>
>The typical colo charges by space, with a certain amount of power per
>rack, but in practice the limit is power. As an example, the new colo
>I'm moving into only gives me enough power for 16 machines per
>rack. But older colos are only 2/3 of that. These are HPCish nodes.
>
>I was pretty surprised by this, as most HPC machine rooms allow a
>significantly higher power density.
>
> > but still, in
> > the long run the cost to do the job MUST be less than what the
> > customer is willing to pay (unless the owner is some sort of
> > philanthropist, naive, or a fool)
>
>Mmmmmmmmmmmmf. MMMMF!
>
>-- greg

Well.. to be fair, there were (and still are) businesses out there
(particularly a few years ago) that didn't fully understand the
concept of needing net profit. (ah yes, the glory days of startups
"buying market share" in the dot-com bubble) And, some folks made a
fine living in the mean time. (But, then, those folks weren't the
owners, were they, or if they were, in a limited sense, they now have
some decorative wallpaper..)