[Beowulf] OFED/IB for FC8

Jason Clinton jclinton at advancedclustering.com
Thu Jun 5 08:38:42 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 4:38 AM, Rainer Finocchiaro <
rainer at lfbs.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> Greg Lindahl schrieb:
>
>> All the OFED rpm's for FC6 installed on FC8 without difficulty, except for
>>> opensm-3.0.3-0.ppc64.rpm
>>>

>> This is the cause of most of your subsequent problems. Without an SM
>> running somewhere on your network, the links don't come fully up.

> Following your link, I reach a download directory offering only ppc64-RPMs;
> in fact all precompiled RPMs for OFED-1.2.5 are for Power PC and not for
> x86.
>
> ..
> Much better is to download more up-to-date OFED-1.3 sources. The package
> includes an install script, which builds and installs the RPMs for you. So
> you don't have to "fear" to install something which is not controlled by
> your package management system (RPM).

As a side note, you've probably gotten yourself in to an unrecoverable state
with RPM having already installed all those PPC RPM's on your Fedora 8
x86_64 systems. The easiest thing to do is probably reinstall but if you
want, you can try removing them all with something like this:

cd /path/to/downloaded/RPMS
ls | grep -oP .+?\(\?=.x86_64\\.rpm\) | xargs rpm -e

The command will extract the names of the RPM's known by RPM that you
installed and then ask RPM to remove them.