[Beowulf] reboot without passing through BIOS?

Tim Kissane tim at timbury.net
Wed Jul 30 20:21:09 PDT 2008

Robert G. Brown wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2008, David Mathog wrote:
>
>> Robert G. Brown wrote:
>>
>>> There are several ways to accomplish this, and they can be automated.
>>> For example, run a script at boot time that runs a script like
>>> /etc/specialboot if it exists.  Then put:
>>>
>>> #!/bin/sh
>>>
>>> # cp /boot/grub/grub.conf.default /boot/grub/grub.conf
>>> # cp /boot/grub/grub.conf.special /boot/grub/grub.conf
>>
>> These all work great for controlling from the linux side, not so well
>> for controlling from the Windows site.  I have seen methods like this
>> for Windows, but they depend upon putting grub.conf in a location where
>> Windows can write it.
>
> Windows?  What is this Windows?  I don't do Windows...;-)
>    rgb

I'm a Linux fanatic, I admit it. So far there have been interesting
suggestions,
all of which (save the dhcp idea) assume grub or lilo as the boot manager.
Why not use the NT boot loader to dual boot the box; it's config file is
writable
from Windows (obviously) and Linux with the ntfs driver. Then, automated
scripts
can be run from either OS to switch the default OS for a one shot deal or to
set a new default. Not the usual solution from a Linux nut, but it's
worked for
me (back when I actually still ran Windows).

My two coins of the realm.

TimK

--
Tim Kissane