[Beowulf] [rpciod] in D state

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Mon Jul 28 07:17:20 PDT 2008

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008, Henning Fehrmann wrote:

> I assume, the squared brackets mean that these are kernel processes.

Kernel threads, yes.

> From time to time one of them changes in to the 'D' (Uninterruptible
> sleep) mode. Once it happens on a particular node it is also
> impossible to mount any nfs exports on this node, which seems
> logical since the nfs client uses the portmapper.

Are you able to kill those kernel threads ? Something like:

killall -9 rpciod

I seem to remember that they are (re)started as needed, but my
recollection of the NFS implementation on Linux is somehow hazy.
Probably the best place to ask is the Linux NFS mailing list...

--
Bogdan Costescu

IWR, University of Heidelberg, INF 368, D-69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Phone: +49 6221 54 8869/8240, Fax: +49 6221 54 8868/8850
E-mail: bogdan.costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de