[Beowulf]Infrastruture planning for small HPC 40/100 gigabyet eyhernet or Infiniband?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Jul 28 01:51:30 PDT 2008

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 07:19:56PM -0700, Jim Lux wrote:

> bear in mind that ordinary ethernet both coax and twisted pair is
> galvanically isolated.

This is strange, because I've seen (small) sparks and received (mild)
shocks from both, in two different locations.

As you say, http://www.apcmedia.com/salestools/FLUU-5T3TLT_R1_EN.pdf
claims Ethernet is immune, yet I've read somewhere that Gigabit ethernet
is more susceptible than Fast Ethernet. I've got (cheap) UPSen for
almost all equipment, maybe they're the problem and not the switching
power supplies.

In any case I'll have an electrician diagnose the problem. Unfortunately,
I anticipate his solution would involve pulling through a new large-crossection
ground wire to several locations. It is at this point that lack of wall
conduits will become quite painful.