[Beowulf] cuda benchmark

Franz Marini franz.marini at mi.infn.it
Mon Jul 21 07:23:01 PDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 15:35 +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 09:56:53PM -0700, Massimiliano Fatica wrote:
> >
> >    You can use NAMD.
> >
> >    [1]http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/cuda/
>
> Interesting. Any suggestions for a cheap consumer CUDA-suitable
> nVidia card which would fit in a 1U slot (2x PCIe x8 available), and
> don't tax the power supply (and cooling capacity) overmuch?

I'm getting quite good results with a 8800GT card, although, given the
current prices, I would suggest going for a 9800GTX.

If you want to test out the double-precision support of the new cards, a
GTX 260 could be a good choice, provided the power supply has enough
juice for it, and provided it fits in your particular 1U slot. Keep in
mind that both the 9800GTX and the GTX 260 coolers take up two slots.

F.

Franz Marini
Prof. R. A. Broglia Theoretical Physics of Nuclei,
      Atomic Clusters and Proteins Research Group
Dept. of Physics, University of Milan, Italy.
email : franz.marini at mi.infn.it
phone : +39 02 50317226