[Beowulf] A press release

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Tue Jul 8 20:25:58 PDT 2008

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008, stephen mulcahy wrote:

> Prentice Bisbal wrote:
>> Actually, no, I don't remember MCC Interim Linux. It was before my time.
>>  My experience with Linux started in December 1996 or January 1997 with
>> Red Hat Linux 4.
>
> I also have vague memories of SLS and Ygdrassil (sp?) - not sure if they came
> before or after MCC.

Wikipedia has at least one article on the history of linux and talks
about the very first distros -- there were two or three that were close
to simultaneous, although the VERY first ones were very thin indeed.
SLS (later Slackware) was one of the first, but not quite THE first.  It
was probably the first "complete" distribution, or close to it.

IIRC, SLS was fewer floppies that Slackware, but Slackware was arguably
easier to install and worked better (as one would expect).  And it had
more, better packages.

I'm not certain that W. information is totally accurate here, but it
probably isn't bad.  People don't usually write articles like this
unless they are at least moderately authoritative.

    rgb

> -stephen

Duke University Physics Dept, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305