[Beowulf] Small Distributed Clusters

Linux Mercedes linuxmercedes at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 15:26:17 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 6:10 AM, Tony Travis <ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk> wrote:

> Ian Pascoe wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>

> <snip>
>

>  Both will be connected to the Internet using ADSL and the limitation will
>> be
>> the upload speed of a maximum of 512Kbs.
>>

> Another issue, apart from the 'A' (Assymetric speed) if you're ADSL is that
> of setting up your routers to permit incoming connections on port 22, and
> having static IP addresses. This is straight forward, but does need to be
> done before your clusters can communicate.

Or, if you don't want to pay for static ip addresses, use something like
DynDNS.com to get subdomains for each of your internet connections and use
the domain name -> ip address translation to keep track of dynamic ip's
without having to keep reconfiguring the software.  I do this with my web
server so I can always type ssh linuxmercedes.homelinux.com into a terminal
and log into it.  Should work for any regular server.

If you're wondering, DynDNS keeps track of your dynamic IP by having you run
a little perl script called ddclient that automatically updates your address
in their records when it changes.  Nifty.