[Beowulf] mdns

Ashley Pittman apittman at concurrent-thinking.com
Mon Jul 7 07:58:52 PDT 2008

There are two parts to mdns, automatic address configuration and then
the advertising of services on top of those addresses.  I'm not sure
which of these you are asking about, I realised after I'd hit send that
my answer only applied to the second of these.

At home I use what according to Wikipedia is called DNS-SD to enable
rythmbox on my desktop to automatically discover the daap servers on
either my Mac (iTunes) or on another Linux machine (firefly media
server).  I'm (just) young enough never to have used a Windows desktop
so I can't comment on what active directory offers.

Unfortunately with Multicast I think network bottle necks are a fact of
life and on network with static hardware configuration it really is
better to have a static software configuration as well.

What problem are you trying to solve?

Ashley Pittman.