[Beowulf] 32 bit or 64bit pkgs re /usr/local over NFS is okay, Joe

Carsten Aulbert carsten.aulbert at aei.mpg.de
Mon Jul 7 03:29:58 PDT 2008

Jon Aquilina wrote:
> so what your telling me to make sure im running 64bit bins is to check
> the /usr/bin. if im not im best compiling from source?

Well other possiblities are:

look at the output of uname -a

if you get i686 you are running a 32bit kernel if the output contains
x64_64 you are running a 64 bit kernel (sometimes uname -m tells you the
same).

For Debian/*buntu: see if you can install ia32 packages. These are
compatibility packages to run 32bit binaries under 64bit systems.
Obviously those are not needed on 32bit systems and hence not available
- as far as I know.

HTH

Carsten