[Beowulf] zfs tuning for HJPC/cluster workloads?

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Sat Jul 5 18:31:07 PDT 2008

Chris Samuel wrote:

> Don't know if you realise this, but you have to get written
> permission from Sun before being able to publish any Solaris
> 10 benchmarks..
>
> http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/licensing/sla.xml

Ugh .. no I didn't.  Thanks.

Posting of results removed from blog.

I think I understand why they don't want benchmarks published.

[...]

> I don't believe that this restriction applies to OpenSolaris
> (IANAL, YMMV, IIRC).

Sort of says something about the "Open Source" nature of the OS.

> FWIW my own testing of ZFS under OpenSolaris, compared
> with other Linux filesystems, showed the same issue for
> write's but much faster read performance.  This was about
> a year ago though!
>
> http://www.csamuel.org/articles/emerging-filesystems-200709/#id2538499

What limited information I have been able to find suggests that "thar be
dragons" (e.g. don't tune, that it is smarter than you are, and it auto
tunes).  Yeah.  Right.

I just want this file system to be about on par with its Linux
counterpart on the same hardware.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO