[Beowulf] zfs tuning for HJPC/cluster workloads?

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Sat Jul 5 09:19:38 PDT 2008

Hi folks:

   Investigating zfs on a Solaris 10 5/08 loaded JackRabbit for a
customer.  zfs performance isn't that good relative to Linux on this
same hardware (literally a reboot between the two environments)

   I am looking for ways to tune zfs, or even Solaris so we can
hopefully get to parity with Linux (less than 50% of Linux performance
now c.f. http://scalability.org/?p=640 ).  What I have found online has been
	http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/index.php/ZFS_Evil_Tuning_Guide

   and a number of others.  Even the dangerous tuning methods mentioned
in this document (turning off Zil), don't really help all that much.

   This is for an IO intensive application with multiple threads doing
1-100 GB streaming reads.

   Offline from others I have heard similar issues, so if someone knows
how to tweak the OS or FS to get good performance, please fire me over a
pointer ... I would appreciate it !

   Thanks.

Joe

--