[Beowulf] automount on high ports

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Fri Jul 4 06:54:39 PDT 2008

Carsten Aulbert <carsten.aulbert at aei.mpg.de> writes:
>> What about my kernel patch to use unprived ports? Did you try it?
>
> No sorry, this approach with just setting the limits seems much easier
> than installing 1300 new kernels ;)

Testing would be done with one machine. It would be foolish to test
such a thing on your production network. What if it crashed everything
in sight?

Once you know you want something, though, you should be able to
install it quickly. If installing kernels on your entire cluster is
difficult, you are not managing you cluster properly. What if you
really need to install new kernels?

You should be able to replace arbitrary software on thousands of
machines with a single easy command. If you can't, you aren't spending
enough time on system automation.

Perry