[Beowulf] automount on high ports

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Jul 3 09:45:31 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008, Robert G. Brown wrote:

> if you try to start up a second daemon on that port you'll get a
> EADDRINUSE on the bind

While we talk about theoretical possibilities, this statement is not
always true. You could specify something else than INADDR_ANY here:

>  serverINETaddress.sin_addr.s_addr = htonl(INADDR_ANY); /* Accept all */

or bind it to a specific network interface (SO_BINDTODEVICE). Then you
can bind a second daemon to the same port, but with a different (and
again not INADDR_ANY) local address or network interface. Many daemons
can do this nowadays (named, ntpd, etc.).

--
Bogdan Costescu

IWR, University of Heidelberg, INF 368, D-69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Phone: +49 6221 54 8869/8240, Fax: +49 6221 54 8868/8850
E-mail: bogdan.costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de