[Beowulf] open mosix alternative

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Tue Jul 1 11:06:34 PDT 2008

Hi Job

Jon Aquilina wrote:
> does anyone know an altenative to openmosix?? would it be worth reviving
> the development of the kernel?

   OpenMOSIX was all about process migration between different
independent OSes.  You can still get some of that with Scyld, with
OpenSSI, and a few others.

   If you prefer more of an SMP model (simpler programming), you should
look at ScaleMP DSMs.  Some on this list argue the shared memory
programming is not easier than distributed memory programming, though I
am not one of them who makes this argument.  It has different
challenges, costs and benefits than MPI.  It has different limitations.
  Not so surprisingly, with the advent of many-core units, shared memory
programming techniques are needed to get good performance within a
single system.

   Disclosure: We are looking at these units for some of our work.

Joe

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO