[Beowulf] Virtual resource manager

Rayson Ho raysonlogin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 09:41:05 PST 2008

On Jan 4, 2008 7:50 AM, andrew holway <andrew at moonet.co.uk> wrote:
> Id like to find out if there are any projects out there to develop a
> resource manager that can control a virtual cluster. We would like to
> explore the idea of using xen to deploy operating systems on nodes,
> checkpoint jobs and deploy MS ccs. Primarily interested in open source
> initiatives.

Take a look at this paper: "Xen and the Art of Cluster Scheduling". It
integrates SGE (Sun Grid Engine) and Xen, and creates XGE (Xen Grid
Engine):
http://ds.informatik.uni-marburg.de/de/publications/pdf/Xen%20and%20the%20Art%20of%20Cluster%20Scheduling.pdf

And Sun has another open source project called Open xVM.  xVM Server
is a hypervisor based on Xen and xVM Ops Center allows provisioning of
cluster nodes.
http://openxvm.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_xVM

xVM is used to deploy cluster nodes at the Ranger supercomputer at
TACC. With 3,936 nodes and 16 cores per node:
http://blogs.sun.com/stevewilson/entry/xvm_at_tacc

I believe you would be able to get some feedback from both the SGE and
the OpenxVM projects...
SGE homepage: http://gridengine.sunsource.net/

Rayson