[Beowulf] centos5 as cluster os

Toon Moene toon at moene.indiv.nluug.nl
Mon Feb 25 14:21:14 PST 2008

Tim Cutts wrote:

>  I've been a Debian Developer for more than 10 years, but I bought that
> book last year and it's still teaching me useful stuff.  Several of us
> in my group have bought it now, and we all swear by it.  Pretty much
> everything it says about Debian applies to Ubuntu as well.

This is definitely the wrong list to ask this question - and therefore,
I'm only phishing for pointers.

Three months ago I bought a machine (from a vendor I won't name, because
it was HP), that featured a 320 Gbyte IDE drive and a (removable, but
kept installed in my case) 320 Gbyte SCSI device).

The Stable install went fine - IDE drive got /dev/hda1 (swap) and
/dev/hda2 (/ - the rest of the device).  SCSI drive got /dev/sda1
(/scratch - I need lots of it).

So far, so good.  I downloaded the e1000 ethernet driver, because it
wasn't included in stable's 2.6.18-5 kernel.  Compiled, modprobed,
dhclient'ed to my ISP's modem, all OK.

Changed /etc/apt/sources.list to exclude the DVD and include

deb http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian testing main contrib

and apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade'd away.

Unfortunately, the resulting system (unlike the original from the DVD)
won't boot - it can't find the boot device.  It does (helpfully) display
the message that the root device might be renamed (/dev/sda2), but
booting with that root device doesn't bring up the system.

Something rather fundamental must have changed (probably in udev)
between "stable" and the recent "testing" system - but what ?

--
Toon Moene - e-mail: toon at moene.indiv.nluug.nl - phone: +31 346 214290
At home: http://moene.indiv.nluug.nl/~toon/