[Beowulf] Re: wajig for Ubuntu/Debian package management

Leif Nixon nixon at nsc.liu.se
Mon Feb 18 05:24:31 PST 2008

Tim Cutts <tjrc at sanger.ac.uk> writes:

> On 18 Feb 2008, at 11:10 am, Leif Nixon wrote:
>
>> But that's not the same package, then. Hm, can you have a package
>> depend on "any version of gcc", without listing the various gcc
>> packages explicitly?
>
> Yes.  That's what "Provides" does in a package's control file.  So,
> for example, postfix, exim and sendmail all provide "mail-transport-
> agent".

Ah, of course. Same thing in rpm-land.

One final question: is it possible to verify the integrity of
installed files? (For example, I can run "rpm -V glibc" to check the
md5 sum of all files in the glibc package against the package
database.)

--
Leif Nixon                       -            Systems expert