[Beowulf] What's the category of Beowulf among Clusters?

Eric Liang eric.l.2046 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 20:10:34 PST 2008

> On 12/20/08 8:48 AM, "Eric Liang" <eric.l.2046 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  =20
>> First of all, sorry for sending mails by  the address:
>> start2046 at gmail.com. Just like the pgp signature says , I use that one=

>> in my country(yes,china).
>>
>> Lux, James P wrote:
>>    =20
>>> On 12/20/08 6:41 AM, "Liang Yupeng" <start2046 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>

>>>      =20

>>> http://www.amazon.com/Beowulf-New-Verse-Translation-Bilingual/dp/0393=
320979te
>>> rs
>>> in it, so maybe Wikipedia has been misled? Perhaps
>>>
>>>      =20
>> the amzon said:
>> Looking for something?
>> We're sorry. The Web address you entered is not a functioning page on
>> our site
>>    =20
>

> Interesting.. In any case, the book is a recent new translation of the =
epic
> poem written around 1000 years ago. Much more readable, but also of no
> connection to beowulf (the cluster computing).
>  =20
>> Maybe I've read the story on wiki and somebody have talk about why use=

>> the name(beowulf) in this list(IIRC). :-P
>>    =20
>
> You'd have to ask Don Becker about that. He chose the name when he buil=
t the
> first one a few years ago.  http://www.beowulf.org/ has a little histor=
y.

>  =20
OK,but the history is something additional, and what I've got on that is
enough (from you guys and websites) , so no need to bother him.
>  =20

>>> True enough.. But I'm not sure that developing a HPC taxonomy adds va=
lue to
>>> the process of doing the computation, or, more to the point, to selec=
ting an
>>> appropriate way to solve one's particular computational needs.
>>>
>>>      =20
>> Yes, if I've decided use beowulf(or another one), but how can I make t=
he
>> decision if I couldn't tell the differences of the cluster softwares?
>>    =20
>
> Oh.. That's a bit more difficult. And, you're right, the Wikipedia entr=
> isn't necessarily the best way to go about it.  Asking here on the list=
 is
> probably a better way. If you describe your problem, then folks will mo=
st
> likely respond with their opinions of what sort of computational
> architecture is well suited.  Opinions WILL differ, but I think everyon=
> here will justify their opinion (some at more length than others) and y=
ou
> can use that to see if it's applicable to your particular problem.
>
>  =20
>> Hmm, I didn't mean that. I put the question here just because the wiki=
's
>> explanations have puzzled me, and  IMO, this mailling list is a
>> appropriately place where most fellows should have the related
>> knowledge.
>>    =20
>
> You've got that right.  This *is* the place to ask.
>

>  =20
>> For me, if I am *interested* in one software, I'll learn more
>> and more details about it and compare it to the others, not just use
>> it.If I have offended you,I ask your pardon.
>> Many thanks for your reply and the books.
>>
>>    =20
>
> Gosh.. No offense at all.=20
Just in case, for those rustic words because of my unskilled English :-[
> But you should be aware that "beowulf" is a fairly
> generic description of a general approach to computing, so there's no
> "Beowulf software" in the sense of a particular installable program or =
set
> of programs or a Linux distro.
>  =20
Hmm, maybe the word "project" is more appropriate.
> Check out Robert G. Brown's book online.. (there's a link on the
> http://www.beowulf.org/ site, if you can't find it elsewhere)
>
> Jim
>  =20
Got that link from his signature several days ago, it looks like that I
should read the book <//Engineering a Beowulf-Style Compute Cluster/
<http://www.phy.duke.edu/%7Ergb/Beowulf/beowulf_book.php>/>.