[Beowulf] Re: cloning issue, hidden module dependency

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Dec 12 03:09:20 PST 2008

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008, David Mathog wrote:

> install usb-interface /sbin/modprobe uhci_hcd; /bin/true
> install ide-controller /sbin/modprobe via82cxxx; /sbin/modprobe
> ide_generic; /bin/true

I don't know why you need these. On all the distributions that I've
worked with recently such issues are taken care of by running
'depmod', the resulting files are taken into consideration when
running 'mkinitrd'.

> alias pci:v000010ECd00008139sv000010ECsd00008139bc02sc00i00 8139too

And why do you need this ? Didn't the module detect this hardware ?

> 4. Need to run lilo now or at reboot it STILL comes up using the wrong
> modules.  You can guess how I found that out.  Lilo won't work reliably
> chroot from boel3 with this Mandriva distro, and boel3 has no lilo
> of its own.  So pxe boot the node with PLD 2.01, then at the prompt:

I think that you've just created more problems by mixing all these
different distributions then mixing booting from local disk with
PXE... I would not have had such problems with CentOS or Fedora, but I
work with these distributions for a long time (and Red Hat Linux
before that), so I know them pretty well. Maybe it's time for you to
learn some more about the tools that your preferred distribution makes
available and how all the pieces are put together ?

--
Bogdan Costescu

IWR, University of Heidelberg, INF 368, D-69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Phone: +49 6221 54 8240, Fax: +49 6221 54 8850
E-mail: bogdan.costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de