[Beowulf] SSD prices

Lux, James P james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Dec 11 20:46:30 PST 2008

On 12/11/08 7:22 PM, "Greg Lindahl" <lindahl at pbm.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 05:01:23PM -0800, Lux, James P wrote:
>
>> We are starting to use Flash memory for storage on spacecraft, and,
>> of course, wear-out is a big deal.
>
> Yeah, but you have the huge advantage that you get to write your own
> wear-leveling software.
>
> -- greg

True enough. But just as the article pointed out with respect to the SSD, we
often have some sort of hardware flash controller between the flash and the
CPU. Or, you're integrating some subsystem designed and built by someone
else (or a spare from a previous mission).

But a bigger deal is that the whole wear out thing is not super well
understood (in a predictability sense). For instance, it's sensitive to the
temperature.