[Beowulf] Developing software for MPICH clusters?

Dr Cool Santa drcoolsanta at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 02:32:06 PST 2008

Till now I have only created Beowulf clusters for my mother who is a
theoretical chemist. She needed clusters to run applications and study
chemical aspects of various substances to help in her research.

I being a programmer found it quite exciting. I sometimes have had
programmed software to automate my work, however sometimes that work is too
much for my computer to handle that it takes hours and days. I was thinking
if someone could tell me how I could convert it into MPI based code.
Basically my aim is to divide the work among the computers that are on the
cluster. The cluster is comprised of 4 dual core machines so you can
understand how much powerful they would be compare to my computer. Also I
generally program in C or C++ but I have a vast range of languages to
program in.
I can explain the main features of such programs with an example. They would
compute results of consecutive numbers and store them in some file or
database so it doesn't have to compute them again later or something
similar. This is just an example my work is more complicates.
Basically what I wanted to tell was that the work in itself isn't difficult
but the quantity is a lot and so it needs to be divided.