[Beowulf] Personal Introduction & First Beowulf Cluster Question

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Mon Dec 8 13:17:47 PST 2008

Hello Steve and list

Steve Herborn wrote:

>The hardware suite is actually quite sweet, but has been mismanaged rather
>badly.  It has been left in a machine room that is too hot & on power that
>is more then flaky with no line conditioners.  One of the very first things
>I had to do was replace almost two-dozen Power Supplies that were DOA.

Yes, 24 power supplies may cost as much as the savings in UPS,
plus the headache of replacing them, plus failing nodes.

>I think I have most of the hardware issues squared away right now and need
>to focus on getting here up & running, but even installing the OS on a
>head-Node is proving to be troublesome.

Besides my naive encouragement to use Rocks,
I remember some recent discussions here on the Beowulf list
about different techniques to setup a cluster.
See this thread, and check the postings by
Bogdan Cotescu, from the University of Heidelberg.
He seems to administer a number of clusters, some of which have
constraints comparable to yours, and to use a variety of tools for this:

http://www.beowulf.org/archive/2008-October/023433.html
http://www.iwr.uni-heidelberg.de/services/equipment/parallel/

>I really wish I could get away with using ROCKS as there would be such a
>greater reach back for me over SUSE.  Right now I am exploring AutoYast to
>push the OS out to the compute nodes,

Long ago I looked into System Imager, which was then part of Oscar,
but I don't know if it is current/maintained:

http://wiki.systemimager.org/index.php/Main_Page

>but that is still going to leave me
>short on any management tools.

That is true.
Tell bosses they are asking you to reinvent the Rocks wheel.

Good luck,
Gus Correa

Gustavo J. Ponce Correa, PhD - Email: gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
P.O. Box 1000 [61 Route 9W] - Palisades, NY, 10964-8000 - USA