[Beowulf] Multicore Is Bad News For Supercomputers

Lux, James P james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Dec 5 21:18:38 PST 2008

On 12/5/08 8:52 PM, "richard.walsh at comcast.net" <richard.walsh at comcast.net>
wrote:
> Yes, the stacked DRAM stuff is interesting.  Anyone visit the siXis booth at
> SC08?  They are stacking DRAM and FPGA dies directly onto SiCBs (Silicon
> Circuits Boards).  This allows for dramatically more IOs per chip and finer
> traces throughout the board which is small, but made entirely of silicon.
> They
> promise better byte/flop ratios and more total memory per unit volume.

3dplus also does this sort of thing. They take standard Ics and machine the
package and stack them with little PC boards on the leads. We use this sort
of thing in space applications to get the density up. Particularly if you're
looking at something like Flash or DRAM, where the power dissipation isn't
huge, it's a very clever idea.

3dplus has done much more sophisticated stacks, too.