[Beowulf] Re: Intro question

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Dec 3 12:17:00 PST 2008

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008, Mark Hahn wrote:

> if office, I'd certainly just get minitowers.

For office, I would recommend barebones in SFF (small form factor)
cases, like those commonly advertised for HTPC (Home theater PC). I
have built a cluster of 80 of those (Shuttle SB75G2) in 2004, you can
see a rather bad picture in the "IWR Cluster 4 part a" section of:

http://www.iwr.uni-heidelberg.de/services/equipment/parallel/

Because of their number, they are located in a well cooled computer
room, the total consumption being close to 9KW under load. These
barebones often contain what is needed for a simple cluster node, with
only CPU, memory and possibly a disk to be added. The cooling is often
better designed than in a normal (mini-)tower case and because of
their intended usage they can be even quiter - but the difference
between the different models or manufacturers can be huge. The price
is slightly higher than a comparable (mini)tower; the impression that
it makes on visitors is however much greater ;-)

--
Bogdan Costescu

IWR, University of Heidelberg, INF 368, D-69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Phone: +49 6221 54 8240, Fax: +49 6221 54 8850
E-mail: bogdan.costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de