[Beowulf] Stroustrup regarding multicore

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Tue Aug 26 16:42:44 PDT 2008

Gerry Creager <gerry.creager at tamu.edu> writes:
> They may or may not have sufficient computer science training when
> they started, and they may or may not get formal training in the
> course of their degree process, but don't discount the computer
> science training they acquired along the way.

I've known some people without any real training that are great
programmers. Indeed, most of the virtuosi of the field have had
unrelated backgrounds. Far more, however, are really horrible at it,
and it hurts their code a lot, on usability, maintainability and
performance. There are just too many things they don't know.
"What is a hash table?" they say, or "What is this `state machine' you
speak of, strange person?"

We are, however, getting far afield.

Perry
Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com