[Beowulf] Stroustrup regarding multicore

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Tue Aug 26 13:46:34 PDT 2008

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 14:29:11 -0400 "Perry E. Metzger" wrote:
> I think part of the issue is that most people doing scientific
> computing don't have computer science backgrounds, which is a
> shame.

Formal CS training can certainly help but I don't view it as a
requirement.  I've met some remarkably capable programmers who have
little or no formal CS background.

And I don't mean to sound like a cheezy motivational speaker but
if each of us is willing to study the texts a bit, read others' code,
and learn-by-doing then I don't think there is anything that prevents us
from becoming capable programmers.  Or engineers.  Or chefs.  Or system
administrators.  Or..., well, you get the idea.  :-)

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD  |  ed at eh3.com  |  http://eh3.com/