[Beowulf] Stroustrup regarding multicore

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Tue Aug 26 11:29:11 PDT 2008

Ed Hill <ed at eh3.com> writes:
> And guarantees like the above make it rather easy for programmers to,
> for instance, "assemble" their inputs in C++ and then, if they want,
> call C, Fortran, assembly-optimized, or even GPU-/FPGA-implemented
> routines to perform BLAS, (I)DFT, or other operations.
>
> Remember, folks, languages do not have to be an "xor" choice.  The "and"
> operator is available to all of us.

I'm always surprised by that myself. I routinely do stuff like writing
an application in a "scripting" language and putting the CPU intensive
stuff into C subroutines, and every once in a while (usually while OS
hacking since the compilers are now very good) one throws an asm()
statement or .S file into the mix.

I think part of the issue is that most people doing scientific
computing don't have computer science backgrounds, which is a
shame.

Perry
Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com