[Beowulf] new flash SSDs

Mikhail Kuzminsky kus at free.net
Tue Aug 19 11:11:53 PDT 2008

FYI: Intel presented on IDF new SATA 2.5" SSDs (based on NAND flash)
for servers. This SSDs (X25-E Extreme, 32 GB) support command queueing
(32 operations), R/W throughput = 250/170 MB/s, 75 usec read latency.
35000 writes per second and 3300 reads per second - for 4 KB blocks.
64 GB SDD is awaiting in Q1'2009.

I hope this will lead to decrease of SSD market price. Unfortunately I
have no information about prices and about lifetime.

But I'm not too enthusiastic about prices: even Samsung PATA 2.5"/32
GB SDD costs about $300, IBM SATA are much more expensive.

Mikhail Kuzminsky
Computer Assistance to Chemical Research Center
Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry
Moscow