[Beowulf] Gigabit Ethernet and RDMA

Scott Atchley atchley at myri.com
Mon Aug 11 15:26:15 PDT 2008

Hi Gus,

Are you trying to find software for NICs you currently have? Or are
you looking for gigabit Ethernet NICs that natively support some form
of kernel-bypass/zero-copy?

I do not know of any of the latter (do Chelsio or others offer 1G NICs
with iWarp?).

As for the former, there are several options for cluster use:

I believe Scyld has an optimized Ethernet stack. GAMMA has special
drivers for certain Intel NICs. PM/Ethernet-HXB is under active
development. Open-MX works over any Ethernet driver and works with any
MPI that works with native MX.

If you are interested in 10G Ethernet, MX on Myricom 10G NICs can work
with our Myrinet switches or any brand of Ethernet switches (some
Ethernet switches provide lower latency than others).

Scott