[Beowulf] Building new cluster - estimate

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Thu Aug 7 04:57:58 PDT 2008

Joe Landman wrote:
> Gerry Creager wrote:
>
>> Speaking of jumbo frames, I'm seeing a problem on a Broadcom 57xx
>> chipset on CentOS 4.3, 2.6.9-67 kernel (yeah, I know) and a tg3
>> driver.  I can't make the thing recognize the ability to use jumbo
>> frames. Anyone got a fix?
>
> Had a very similar issue some time ago with tg3 on Broadcom chipset NICs
> (57xx).  The only solution we could find was to not use jumbo frames.
> The preventative measure we take as a result of this is also to
> recommend using Intel NICs (and a few others) over Broadcom whenever
> possible.

I was afraid of that.  The tg3 driver and the specific chipset both
claim it should work.  I've not looked at driver source, and I'm
thinking of downloading Broadcom's proprietary driver for linux.  I
can't add Intel to this box: physically outta room (2u chassis, nVidia
8800 for remote graphics eats up the physical riser real estate).
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.862.3983