[Beowulf] OpenMP vs. MPI benchmark for multi-core machines?

Charlie Peck charliep at cs.earlham.edu
Thu Apr 17 10:42:48 PDT 2008

On Apr 17, 2008, at 8:38 AM, Eray Ozkural wrote:

> Is there such a benchmark that I can refer to? I am increasingly
> convinced that OpenMP/pthread is required only in extreme cases, but I
> need some numbers to prove that (to myself and my advisor).

Like most other cases YMMV, significantly.  That is there is no way
to say that one is better than the other except for a very particular
situation.  This is exacerbated by the fact that different MPI
implementations handle communication between processes on the same
CPU differently, and some vary further by the choices made during ./
configure.

charlie