[Beowulf] 3C2000 NIC discontinued

Douglas Eadline deadline at eadline.org
Thu Apr 10 10:32:34 PDT 2008

For new projects, you may want to consider IB as
the costs have come down. See this:

http://www.clustermonkey.net//content/view/222/2/

I have some performance numbers for these cards
(back to back) and they work quite well for the
price ($125). I'll be posing some data soon
(4 us latency and 5000 Mbits/sec using OpenMPI
and netpipe)

Of course, for the real cheapskates (like me)
there is always the PT 1000 "desktop" (~$50)
adapter (1X PCIe). Using TCP netpipe
I see 27-30 us latency and 850 Mbits/sec
But as the core counts on the motherboards
get higher, IB gets more attractive.
I'm playing with open-mx on these adapters
and I get about 12us netpipe MPI latency.

--
Doug

--
Doug