[Beowulf] Improving access to a Linux beowulf cluster for Windows users

Brian D. Ropers-Huilman brian.ropers.huilman at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 10:38:26 PDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 10:19 AM, Tom Pierce <thpierce at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Beowulf ML,
>
> Are there any good websites that describe how to simplify access to a Linux
> Beowulf cluster for people who use windows computers?  Do you have
> recommendations (besides "Learn Linux") that assist people is accessing your
> cluster?

I guess I'm a little confused by this given what you list below.
Accessing a system is one thing, using it is another. There are two
ways to use it: with your own code or with commercial code. Then,
there are two vectors to getting whatever code you're using to run:
command-line submission to a job manager or a web portal.

What you list below is excellent (and our recommendations as well) way
to access. Point #4 gets at use, but I would say that if they want to
build their own codes and submit from a command-line, they will have
to "Learn Linux."

If they want to use a portal for commercial codes (or even their own),
tell them to apply for a TeraGrid account or use GridChem or caGrid or
someone's OSG stack or ... any of the number of portal-driven "grids"
that are out there.

> I have HowTo pages on:
> 4) Some instructions on howto use the Batch job system (Torque/Maui) for
> common applications.
>
> What else helps?

"Learn Linux."

--
Brian D. Ropers-Huilman, Director
Systems Administration and Technical Operations