[Beowulf] How Can Microsoft's HPC Server Succeed?

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Fri Apr 4 08:57:50 PDT 2008

Chris Samuel wrote:
> ----- "Greg Byshenk" <gbyshenk at byshenk.net> wrote:
>
>> A former co-worker of mine now works elsewhere, at a company where
>> they are looking to build a cluster for some research he will be
>> doing, and it will almost certainly run Windows. And this is not
>> because there is something "better" about Windows, but because they
>> are a Windows shop, and thus the cost of hiring or training staff
>> would more than outweigh any savings on licenses.
>
> This will also be a big factor for University ITS departments
> too which often seem to have (at least here in Australia) become
> MS only shops.

It's not just in Oz.  We see the same thing here.  All the kids I
interviewed this year had a lot of C# and .net "experience" with no
grasp of how to do more general programming.  Got a lot of folks who
could do web work if we'd bring in FrontPage, too.  And these were from
our CompSci department...

gerry
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.862.3982 FAX: 979.862.3983