[Beowulf] How Can Microsoft's HPC Server Succeed?

Jim Lux james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Apr 4 06:20:39 PDT 2008

Quoting Chris Samuel <csamuel at vpac.org>, on Fri 04 Apr 2008 12:47:09 AM PDT:

> ----- "Jon Forrest" <jlforrest at berkeley.edu> wrote:
>
>> What technical features could they add that couldn't
>> be added to a Linux cluster?
>
> Windows botnet clients & client access licenses ? :-)
>
> Seriously though, my concern is about the impact of the
> essential anti-virus, anti-malware and anti-spyware
> software on each node of the system be ?

Why would you need such a thing?  Are you reading email and browsing
the web from you cluster nodes?  Do you have users downloading the
latest e-birthday card or nifty *free* game on the nodes.  I think
not.  They're sitting behind a head node or similar.

I wouldn't put AV software of any kind on the nodes.  heck, if you
have a problem, you'd just wipe and reinstall from known good media.

This is no different than big corporations with Windows desktops..
they're locked down from external media, and boot from a shared image
on a server and have no outside internet access.

> Who could seriously consider running *any* Windows box these
> days without them ?

If you're running quasi-real time software (e.g. Labview) doing
instrument controls?

It's perfectly reasonable to run Windows machines without virus
checkers, etc., if you have a fairly decent software configuration
management process in place.

> Not least on a system that is designed to have random people
> login in and run their applications on.

Relatively few clusters fit in that category.