[Beowulf] cluster admin employment

Mike Davis jmdavis1 at vcu.edu
Fri Apr 4 05:49:47 PDT 2008

Mark Kosmowski wrote:
> For Mike and the rest of you:
>
> If one of these unqualified applicants had accurately mapped out their
> deficiencies and let you know that they would need a little training,
> would said applicant have been considered at all or would their resume
> have been filed in the "circular file" (slang for the trash bin)?
>
> Does someone who has maintained a personal cluster for their graduate
> research have any reasonable chance of landing some sort of admin
> position?  Given that state of the economy, I've been kind of hoping
> that I could look into admin positions as a backup plan if a position
> in my field is not readily available once I finish my doctoral studies
> - it would be helpful to know whether this is a realistic possibility.

I think that type of person stands an excellent chance of being hired.
One of the best admins that I ever had was finishing his PhD. His case
was a bit different in that he had started the PhD, been hired by a
computer company, worked for them for 5 years and then been laid off.
The way that he learned all of that in the first place was doing it for
his research.

When I built our first linux cluster as a proof of concept in 1998, I
had to learn the details via reseach and trial and error. Thge ability
to learn and a good work ethic will go a long way.

Mike