[Beowulf] How Can Microsoft's HPC Server Succeed?

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Wed Apr 2 16:39:30 PDT 2008

I still think MS HPC has a shot in this space.

Remember the size of our market is pretty small -- a few thousand
installs would have a pretty significant impact in this space although
within MS that may qualify as an embarrassing product failure.

To me the market for MS HPC products is with commercial ISVs that sell
software but are currently buried under infinite permutations of
hardware and software they need to support. Setting up a cluster,
managing the various communication stacks, application integration and
batch scheduling is still quite a bit of work.

With a MS shrink-wrap HPC product there is the possibility that an ISV
can offload much of that responsibility to Microsoft - or more
reasonably some other software/support/consulting shop that has the
necessary domain experience to handle end-user application integration
and usage questions. Right now for commercial ISVs the support
question is non trivial and involves many different sets of compilers,
MPI implementations, transport fabrics and cluster schedulers.

Anyway, the possibility that commercial vendors of engineering/
scientific software could support MS HPC as a reasonable base that
allows for a single point of contact (or finger pointing) for
integration/usage issues is really the only thing I can come up with.

In the market I'm familiar with (life science) there are all sorts of
devices that could benefit from a shrink-wrapped compute solution.
Even the smallest labs can get grants to purchase the latest $500K
confocal microscope or next-generation DNA Sequencing box. Each of
those devices can spew out a terabyte per day of raw data and many
times that stuff needs to be post processed and distilled down into
different forms. A nice little 8-core box running a shrink-wrap HPC
product with a single support contact could find a nice little niche
in non-datacenter areas where significant compute is needed nearby
some other sort of dedicated instrument or device.

Personally I'll stick with Unix and Grid Engine / LSF myself but I do
see some areas, use-cases and markets where MS HPC could benefit. The
window of opportunity is shrinking though.

My $.02 of course.

-Chris