[Beowulf] HPL Benchmarking and Optimization

Ellis Wilson xclski at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 1 19:08:40 PDT 2008

I'm currently running some benchmarks on my cluster,
one of special
interest to me being High Performance Linpack,
implemented for parallel
installations.  I've gotten a hang of the variables
(Ns, NBs, etc.) from
information available online, however would be really
interested to hear
back on whether my results are far under par and if
compilation
optimizations (or different fortran compilers) will
increase my
performance vastly.

Currently I get these kind of numbers from tested
computers using the
same environment (gentoo, fortran in gcc, hpl, all
same compilation
options):
1 x Core2Duo (2.1ghz/core, 2gigs ram) - 2.3Gflops
1 x Athlon 64 3500+ (2.2ghz, 1gig ram) - 1.0Glops
4 x Core2Duo (2.1ghz/core for a total of 8 cores,
2gigs ram/node,
100mbit Ethernet interconnect) - 6.7Gflops

I'm finding numbers online that are well below, at,
and well above my
own.  Are these numbers low and if so, how could I
improve the situation
(or should I attempt to optimize at all, this seems a
bit backwards
since it's making the benchmark akin to my
application)?

Thanks in advance,

Ellis