[Beowulf] "Code" vs. "Codes"

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Tue Apr 1 13:21:54 PDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 10:35:31AM +0100, Tim Cutts wrote:

> and the appearance of "regular" plurals
> like "e-mails" is just such an example.

I think emails is an exception. For postal mail, you'd say "I received
3 letters". For email, we don't call them letters, we just use "emails."
But I still say "I deleted all my email."

It's not becoming more regular, not unless I start saying weird things
like "emails server" and "emails database".

> Once the major political power using Latin had
> disappeared,

The Church was still a major political power using Latin, not to
mention the Holy Roman Empire and the Byzantine Empire -- and Latin
itself evolved steadily.

-- g