[Beowulf] Really efficient MPIs??

Scott Atchley atchley at myri.com
Wed Nov 28 08:10:21 PST 2007

On Nov 28, 2007, at 8:49 AM, Charlie Peck wrote:

> On Nov 28, 2007, at 8:04 AM, Jeffrey B. Layton wrote:
>
>> Unless you are using a gigabit ethernet, Open-MPI is noticeably
>> less efficient that LAM-MPI over that fabric.
>
> I suspect at some point in the future gige will catch-up but for
> now my (limited) understanding is that the Open-MPI folks are
> focusing their time on higher bandwidth/lower latency fabrics than
> gige.
>
> charlie

At SC07 MPICH2 BoF, I gave a brief talk about MPICH2-MX. In addition
to showing results of it running over MX-10G, I had a few slides
showing performance using MPICH2-MX over Open-MX on Intel e1000
drivers (80003ES2LAN NICs). IMB Pingpong latency is ~10 us for small
messages and throughput for large messages is near line rate.

Open-MX provides the same API as MX, runs on _any_ Ethernet driver/
NIC, should work with most MX software (MPICH-MX, MPICH2-MX, PVFS2,
etc.) and is open source. It has not reached a release tarball yet,
but we expect to see one soon.

Scott