[Beowulf] Really efficient MPIs??

Charlie Peck charliep at cs.earlham.edu
Wed Nov 28 05:49:14 PST 2007

On Nov 28, 2007, at 8:04 AM, Jeffrey B. Layton wrote:

> If you don't want to pay money for an MPI, then go with Open-MPI.
> It too can run on various networks without recompiling. Plus it's
> open-source.

Unless you are using a gigabit ethernet, Open-MPI is noticeably less
efficient that LAM-MPI over that fabric.

I suspect at some point in the future gige will catch-up but for now
my (limited) understanding is that the Open-MPI folks are focusing
their time on higher bandwidth/lower latency fabrics than gige.

charlie