[Beowulf] Teaching Scientific Computation (looking fo the perfect text)

Lombard, David N dnlombar at ichips.intel.com
Mon Nov 26 07:37:49 PST 2007

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 07:23:32PM -0500, Robert G. Brown wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Nov 2007, David Mathog wrote:
>
> >It would have been interesting if C++ had implemented operator
> >definition instead of operator overloading (ie, redefinition).
> >For instance like:
> >
> >A = B + C <VecX>  D
> >

> (one or two last ones while I clear mail:-).  Actually a really, really
> interesting idea, but one does have a whole new class of typing errors.
>
> But it still is a really good idea.  There is a generalized algebra of
> dyad, triad, inner and outer products, and so on.

APL does provide generalized inner and outer products.  But, it is a
write-once language, and attempts to outperform the interpreter, such
as compilers or even an "APL machine" did not do as well.

--
David N. Lombard, Intel, Irvine, CA
I do not speak for Intel Corporation; all comments are strictly my own.