[Beowulf] Teaching Scientific Computation (looking for the perfect text)

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Wed Nov 21 07:58:13 PST 2007

Robert G. Brown wrote:

[ language war elided ]

> Fortran's I/O commands are terrible.  Fortran is miserable if you have

Well, yes ...

> to manipulate text.  Fortran isn't the easiest thing (consequently) to

Just remember, all text is an array ....  I wrote a rough equivalent of
strtok in fortran something like 18 years ago.  Needed it to parse
command line arguments.  Wasn't terrible, but wasn't super simple.

So you do know about PCRE ... right? http://www.pcre.org/

> worked.  Yes, you can do it with strcmp or a regexp library and some
> effort, but the programming time in perl is vastly lower and the code is
> much more readable.  C's "parsing" is simply not what it could be,

Yes.  Basically what I have been doing for a while, is using Perl as a
front end to parse args, set up environment, and then emit whatever
stuff the computational code needs on the back end to run correctly.  It
is a great deal easier to debug than trying to put lipstick on a pig ...
er ... graft reasonable UI stuff onto crusty-old-code.

> although it is entirely understandable and one can easily manipulate
> data at the byte by byte level to do whatever you like.

This is where IMO Perl (and to a degree Python, though I still have
trouble with the indentation bit ... its so f77) really shine as
front-ends to computational codes.