[Beowulf] Teaching Scientific Computation (looking for the perfect text)

Thomas E. Hall teh1m at cms.mail.virginia.edu
Tue Nov 20 13:49:51 PST 2007

Michael (and Nathan),

Regardless of the language you use, I would suggest you consider two
books by a computational physicist at Oregon State, Rubin Landau.
He is a well-known advocate of computational science education.

A First Course in Scientific Computing: Symbolic, Graphic, and Numeric
Modeling Using Maple, Java, Mathematica, and Fortran90 by Rubin Landau
(Hardcover - April 11, 2005).

Computational Physics: Problem Solving with Computers by Rubin H. Landau,
Manuel J. Páez, and Cristian C. Bordeianu (Paperback - Sep 21, 2007).

You can find both books on Amazon. See his website at,

http://www.physics.orst.edu/~rubin/

In addition, the following is a good reference book.

Numerical Recipes 3rd Edition: The Art of Scientific Computing by William H.
Press, Saul A. Teukolsky, William T. Vetterling, and Brian P. Flannery
(Hardcover - Sep 10, 2007)

Finally, I just returned from the Supercomputing 2007 Conference in Reno,
Nevada, and my impression was that Fortran is alive and well and widely used
in the national labs.

Ed Hall
Research Computing Support Group
University of Virginia