[Beowulf] The Walmart Compute Node?

Jeffrey B. Layton laytonjb at charter.net
Sat Nov 10 08:49:01 PST 2007

andrew holway wrote:
> Sod all this tin pot stuff.
>
> Buying all this crap, sticking it in a rack and stringing it together
> with wire aint difficult. Making the damn software work is the tricky
> bit.
>
> Get loads of ram, vmware-server and BINGO! you have a cluster!

But this isn't a cluster - it's enterprise masturbation. We're talking about
HPC, not running payrolls on a server. It's all about performance.
Running a bunch of VM instances on a server is not really HPC to me.
Of course, it's a GREAT way to learn and I know a bunch of people
who use for testing and development.

Jeff