[Beowulf] Virtualisation and high performance interconnects.

Patrick Ohly patrick.ohly at intel.com
Tue Nov 6 00:58:58 PST 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 15:18 -0400, Robert G. Brown wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Nov 2007, Lombard, David N wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 01:00:00PM -0400, Robert G. Brown wrote:
> >>
> >> I don't know how many of these problems are really "fundamental" though.
> >> I wish I knew more about the hardware support for VMs.  All I know is
> >> that current chips have it, but I don't know what it consists of.  Does
> >> anybody?  Want to share?
> >
> > I'm not quite sure you're looking for this level of detail, but the Intel
> > docs are here:
> >  <http://developer.intel.com/products/processor/manuals/index.htm>
> >
> > Volume 3B: System Programming Guide specifcally deals with virtualization.
>
> I was kinda hoping for the reader's digest version, yeah, but I'll try
> to find time to take a "figure it all out peek" sometime in the next
> century...;-)

Perhaps you'll find these articles more approachable:
        Extending Xen with Intel® Virtualization Technology
        http://download.intel.com/technology/itj/2006/v10i3/v10-i3-art03.pdf

        Intel® Virtualization Technology Specification for the IA-32 Intel® Architecture
        http://www.cs.utah.edu/classes/cs7940-010-rajeev/spr06/papers/vm.pdf

There is also a recent paper about IO and virtual machines:
        Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O
        http://download.intel.com/technology/computing/vptech/Intel(r)_VT_for_Direct_IO.pdf

--
Best Regards, Patrick Ohly

on behalf of Intel on this matter.

The email footer below is automatically added to comply with company
policy; for this email the "intended recipient(s)" are all human and
non-human inhabitants of planet Earth.
Intel GmbH
Dornacher Strasse 1
85622 Feldkirchen/Muenchen Germany
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Douglas Lusk, Peter Gleissner, Hannes Schwaderer
Registergericht: Muenchen HRB 47456 Ust.-IdNr.
VAT Registration No.: DE129385895
Citibank Frankfurt (BLZ 502 109 00) 600119052