[Beowulf] HDTV video file sizes

Jim Windle jim.windle at gmail.com
Tue May 29 10:17:00 PDT 2007

On 5/29/07, Mark Hahn <hahn at mcmaster.ca> wrote:

> > Well, I didn't have any idea ten seconds ago, but now I know that one
> > hour should be roughly 3 GB.  (So a movie should be 5-6 GB.)
>
> hmm, that's normal DVD, isn't it?  the newfangled flavors (BD, etc)
> seem to be 5-10 higher capacity.

So if Netflix isn't lying when they say they have shipped over a billion
movies that means they have moved roughly 5 exabytes of data via the US
mail.  I wonder how that compares the amount moved over the internet during
the same time period?

compressed data rates appear to be 20-50 Mbps (lower than 20